What Septrin Is And What It Is Used For
Septrin is made up of two different medicines called sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. These medicines are sometimes given the combined name co-trimoxazole. Both belong to a group of medicines called antibiotics. They are used to treat infections caused by bacteria. Like all antibiotics, Septrin only works against some types of bacteria. This means that it is only suitable for treating some types of infections.
Septrin can be used to treat or prevent:
• lung infections (pneumonia or PCP) caused by a bacteria called Pneumocystis jiroveci (previously known as
• infections caused by a bacteria called Toxoplasma (toxoplasmosis).
Septrin can be used to treat:
• bladder or urinary tract infections (water infections)
• lung infections such as bronchitis
• ear infections such as otitis media
• an infection called nocardiosis, it can affect the lungs, skin and brain.